Thursday, July 18, 2024

2429a: Bridging the Generation Gap: A Father-Son Collaboration in Business

 


As I prepare for our upcoming "Generation Cross-Border" event, I find myself reflecting on a recent experience that perfectly encapsulates the generational differences we aim to explore. This experience involves my son, Kansai, and his journey into the world of business.

The Smart Ring Project

In May, Kansai launched a project to sell OEM-made smart rings using crowdfunding. The launch was successful, acquiring a substantial number of supporters, and we are now gearing up for the delivery scheduled in October. However, before we can reach that milestone, we face several significant challenges—one of the most pressing being the acquisition of a telecommunication permit from the Ministry of Internal Affairs.

The Challenge of Collaboration

Our OEM partner, JJ, is an overseas company with experience in obtaining such permits. While there are alternative agents in Japan, JJ offered a reasonable price, leading Kansai to choose their services. He asked me to review the proposal, and I immediately noticed some concerns: the proposal lacked a clear delivery date, the deliverables were vague, and the payment terms required us to pay the full amount upfront upon placing the purchase order.

I advised Kansai to negotiate these points, emphasizing the importance of clarity and secure payment terms. My perspective, shaped by years of experience, values caution and thoroughness to mitigate risks.

Generational Perspectives in Business

This interaction highlighted a stark contrast in our approaches. Kansai, a member of Generation Z, favors speed and innovation, valuing quick action over detailed scrutiny. My approach, rooted in the values of Generation Y, leans towards careful planning and risk management.

Kansai proposed using PayPal as a risk mitigation tool for the overseas transaction. According to him, PayPal offers reimbursement if the deliverable does not meet the requirements, providing a layer of security in case things go wrong. This was a novel concept for me, as I have always relied on more traditional methods of securing business deals.

A Dialogue of Generations

A few days later, Kansai and I had a candid conversation about our collaboration. Kansai, still a student and working under my company, Growth Unlimited Corporation (GUC), expressed frustration with the perceived delays in decision-making. He mentioned considering starting his own company to have more control and agility.

While I don't intend to intervene in his decisions, I realized that my advice, based on years of experience, might sometimes seem like a hurdle to him. Kansai’s approach, though riskier, is also valid and aligned with the fast-paced nature of modern business. This realization made me reflect on the generational gap between us. While my methods are tried and tested, Kansai’s willingness to embrace new solutions like PayPal demonstrates a different, yet equally valuable, way of navigating business challenges.

Conclusion

This experience underscores the importance of bridging the generational gap in business. Both approaches—my cautious, methodical one, and Kansai’s quick, innovative one—have their merits. As we prepare for our face-to-face discussion during his summer vacation, I am keen to understand more about his perspective and find ways to integrate our approaches.

In our "Generation Cross-Border" event, we will explore these themes further, discussing how different generations can effectively collaborate and learn from each other. I invite you all to share your experiences and insights on generational collaboration in business. How do you balance traditional wisdom with innovative approaches? Let’s engage in this important dialogue and find common ground to move forward together.


No comments:

Post a Comment