As I’ve started visiting Kyoto more frequently for a recent business collaboration, I can’t help but notice an incredible energy here—one that reminds me of Silicon Valley. Kyoto may be famous for its history and temples, but there’s a vibrant, forward-thinking community that’s making waves in the modern business world.
One aspect that stands out is the large number of young, talented students working alongside their studies. My collaborator here employs many part-time workers from three of Japan's top universities—Kyoto University, Doshisha University, and Ritsumeikan University. These institutions have a reputation for producing high-caliber students, and I've seen firsthand that their knowledge, skills, and attitude towards innovation are exceptional.
Many of these students have gained real-world experience through internships and hands-on projects. They’re not just studying; they’re actively working in fields like programming, software development, and tech innovation. Their approach to learning is dynamic, with many balancing their academic pursuits with practical work, reflecting a dedication to growth and experimentation.
Recently, my son Kansai reached out with a request for a sustainable business partner to help develop software for smart rings. Living in Akita, he was struggling to find someone with the necessary tech expertise. However, during a visit to my partner’s café, I remembered a student from Kyoto University who had a side business in tech development. Within minutes of reaching out, he was on board, ready to collaborate. The speed and ease of this connection brought to mind the rapid, lean start-up culture of Silicon Valley. Here in Kyoto, talent is readily accessible, and partnerships form quickly, driving innovation from idea to outcome in record time.
If it weren’t for my time in Kyoto, I might never have realized this unique blend of heritage and modern innovation. The opportunity to collaborate with such passionate, skilled individuals has been inspiring, and I’m excited about what we’re building together. This city has so much potential, and I look forward to sharing more insights from these collaborations in future posts.
Stay tuned for updates on our journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment